Thursday 10 February 2011

Fat Birds, an obesity problem?

The Goldfinch population of South Tyneside continue to dine at my expense.

They are incredible troughers, I have been feeding them Black Sunflower seeds and Nyger seeds, and they have been going through 250grams of seed, of each type, per day.

Now according to the British Garden Birds website they weigh about 15 grams each.

Typically we get a "flock" of about 12 birds, of whom a maximum of 8 are feeding at any one time (there are only four feeders, each with two perches). I assume it is the same 12 birds who come to feed each time, but since they do not wear visitors badges with their names on them I cannot be sure.

You can see one chap here, looking impatiently at the empty feeder, while perched at a feeder with some remaining seed, greedy little devil, doesn't he know there are birds starving in the world?

I do not want to appear mean, going on about the amount of seed they are eating at my expense, but if you do the maths, they are eating 500 grams of seed per day between 12 birds, that is 40 grams each (approximately), which is almost three times their own body weight, per day.

Kathleen is getting seriously concerned about their figures, she thinks she may have to develop an exercise and fitness programme to keep their weight under control, as well as restrict their intake, ie breakfast, lunch, and dinner with no snacking between meals.

At this rate, I can see our Goldfiches being candidates on the Biggest Loser!

As I sit watching them pig out, great excitement in the household, we have a woodpecker.

Kathleen even breaks off from drying and straightening her hair to come and look!

It is the first time either of us have seen a woodpecker in the wild!, that is, if you count our front garden as being "in the wild".

A quick check of the British Garden Birds website and I  think it was a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, but it may have been a lesser spotted woodpecker.

I was too slow in getting the camera ready to take a photograph, before it flew off, so we will have to wait and see if I can get a photograph if it comes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment