Monday 20 December 2010

18/12/2010 - 20/12/2010 Snow, Harrier Jump Jets, Brian Hanrahan

The snow returns.

This time it is southern England which gets the worst of it, and both Heathrow and Gatwick collapse under the strain. The Television News is filled with pictures of people stranded and sleeping on floors as if they were refugees in some third world country.

We have snow, but it is only about 1" - 2" deep. It is bitterly cold however.

Felt I had to put food out for the birds, in the back garden, I even sacrificed some of my peanuts and raisens for them, and that is a major sacrifice!

But, much to my disgust, most of the food was eaten by these greedy pigeons, which definately do not look under nourished to me, in fact they look as if they would make a decent pigeon pie!

The poor little sparrows and blue tits were left to forage for the leftovers.


Went to the "Stags Head", to deliver Christmas presents and more food to Anthony, I thought there might have been a nice cheerful fire on, given the weather, but no such luck, it was almost as cold inside as out. To cap it all my bus did not turn up, and I had to get a different one, meaning a longer walk in the snow and cold.

The end of an era, Brian Hanrahan died today. One of his best remembered reports I am sure is the "I counted them all out, and I counted them all back" comments about the Harrier Fighter planes in the Falklands war. The Harriers themselves came to an end of course just a few days ago.

We are an amazing country, we had a forty year (yes thats right, 40) lead in vertical take off technology, and we have managed to fail to capitalise on it, only we could achieve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment