Monday 26 September 2011

Monday 26th September 2011

During our last campervan trip, we had (another) puncture. Our plan is for another trip away in the van next week, so I need to get the puncture fixed.

You need to understand that, according to Kathleen, I do nothing except enjoy myself, but today, almost before she is out of bed, I have the van spare wheel out from it's mounting under the van and in the boot of the car, ready to be taken to ATS Tyreservices.

It turns out, it is not a puncture, but a faulty valve, which the tyre fitter changes for free. I shall use ATS again, that is service.

I put the spare back in it's place under the van, and then knock off another little chore which is waiting to be done, ie apply silicone sealer around the frame of our new garage door.

It is a beautiful day, too good to spend it working, so I convince Kathleen we should go out cycling.

This is a beautiful time of year, even in urban Tyneside, the autumn colours are absolutely stunning.

This is the view from the track leading to Fellgate Metro Station, beautiful colours.

Soon we are past Monkton Village and heading along the disused railway line (now a cycle track), towards Pelaw.

Then along the banks of the Tyne, towards Newcastle.

Nothing to obstruct the view as we approach Newcastle, very nice for us, but not so good for jobs of course. Once upon  a time the river would have been full of ships, not any more.

We cross the Millenium Bridge at the Sage, and settle down in the sun outside of the Pitcher and Piano, on the Quayside, Coffees all round.

We are even treated to a trial opening of the bridge, which we have not seen before.

Suitably refreshed, we set off along the north bank of the Tyne, following the Hadrians Way cycle track, towards the Pedestrian/Cycle Tunnel. A pleasant surprise when we arrive there, the lifts are working, and we even have a choice of lift or escalator at the south (Jarrow) side. This is a bonus, it is not funny having to carry two bicycles up a broken down escalator I can tell you (from past experience).

The "Runkeeper" App on my iphone, says we have cycled 27 miles, I think it is confused, more like 19 miles I think, you can't always trust technology.

My plan now is have lunch and then slip out on my motorbike. Nothing doing, Kathleen insists we do some gardening. So instead of a spin on the motorbike, I get to finish off trimming the hedge in the back garden. At least it is one more chore out of the way, before winter comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment